Motion to suspend sections of bylaws at the 2018 annual meeting until new model is in place.
Click here for details.
ISRAEL/PALESTINE MISSION NETWORK
Article I – Name
The name of the organization is The Israel/Palestine Mission Network (IPMN).
Article II – Mission Statement
In joyful obedience to the call of Christ, and in solidarity with churches and other partners in Israel and Palestine, the Israel Palestine Mission Network (IPMN) covenants to engage, consolidate, nourish, and channel the energy in the PCUSA toward the goal of a just peace in Israel and Palestine by facilitating education, promoting partnerships, and coordinating advocacy. The Israel/Palestine Mission Network is a grass roots organization that seeks to support Presbyterian Church (USA) policies and partners in the land of Christ’s birth. As part of its mandate, IPMN is an advocate for Palestinian rights, seeking a deeper understanding of their struggle. IPMN speaks to the church, not for the church.
Article III – Membership
Section 1. Members
Membership in IPMN is open to any member of a PC(USA) congregation or presbytery who supports the IPMN Mission Statement. One becomes a member by sending a message to the Membership Coordinator affirming one’s support of the Mission Statement. It is expected that members will advocate for a just peace in Israel/Palestine in their congregations and presbyteries and will support the work of the network as they are able. If subsequent actions by any member are found to be inconsistent with the vision of the Mission Statement, then the Steering Committee may, by majority vote, remove that person from the membership rolls.
Section 2. Affiliate Members
This category of membership is for others, Christians of other denominations or people of other faiths, who support the mission and goals of IPMN. These members may participate in the work of the committees to the extent that the committee leadership opts to include them. They may attend the annual meetings on the basis of individual invitations issued by the Steering Committee. These members may have voice but not vote in plenary sessions.
Article IV – Relationship to Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
The IPMN is one of many mission networks established in close consultation and cooperation with the denomination. The 216th General Assembly (2004) directed that "the formation of a Worldwide Ministries Division-related Palestine Mission Network move forward as soon as possible, for the purpose of creating currents of wider and deeper Presbyterian involvement with Palestinian partners, aimed
at demonstrating solidarity, and changing the conditions that erode the humanity of Palestinians living in Jerusalem, the West Bank, and Gaza." Denominational staff has played a major role assisting IPMN
in its establishment, through advising and guiding our work, particularly in the early phases of our work. As affirmed in our Mission Statement, our goal is to support the policies and partners of the denomination.
The IPMN recognizes the expertise of the denominational staff and mission co-workers in the issues of Israel/Palestine. We also recognize and support the complex decision making processes, which determine the denomination’s policies in the region.
While we support denominational policies and partners, all PC(USA) mission networks are independent bodies. Therefore, we are called to speak in a stronger and more prophetic way than the denomination might. We affirm the importance for the IPMN to maintain an independent voice within the denomination speaking to the church but not for the church.
The need for independence means that it is inappropriate for denominational staff to be members of the network. IPMN will call upon these professionals to advise IPMN about the complex decision making and issues in Israel/Palestine as needed.
Article V – Officers
Section 1. Network Officers
The officers of the network will be Moderator, Vice Moderator, Secretary, Treasurer, Membership Coordinator, and Communications Coordinator.
Section 2. Terms of Office
The Moderator and Vice Moderator will be elected for a term of two (2) years and are eligible for reelection to another two-year term.
The Secretary, Treasurer, Membership Coordinator, and Communications Coordinator will be elected for a term of one (1) year and are eligible for reelection without restriction.
Section 3. Elections
a. Election of officers and Committee Chairs shall take place during the annual meeting.
b. The Nominating Committee will propose a slate of officers after circulating positions for which nominations are needed to the IPMN membership.
c. The proposed slate of nominees will be circulated to the IPMN membership at least 2 weeks before the annual meeting.
d. Nominations from the floor will be accepted after the nominee has agreed to be nominated.
e. In the event of the resignation of one of the officers of the network, the remaining members of the Steering Committee are authorized to appoint a temporary replacement, following a nomination from the Nominating Committee. That position will then be filled on a permanent basis at the next annual meeting, following the procedures set out above.
Article VI– Duties of the Officers
Section 1. Moderator
- Conduct all meetings of the Steering Committee
- Prepare the agenda for the Steering Committee meetings in consultation with others
- Work collegially with the Steering Committee
- Receive communications on behalf of IPMN
- Communicate information to appropriate persons and organizations
- Encourage interest/membership in IPMN
- Encourage evaluation of projects and development of a vision for the IPMN and the setting of goals
- Actively look for opportunities for networking with other groups with similar interests
- Work with a team to plan the annual IPMN meeting
- Moderate during the annual meeting
- Be the liaison between IPMN and the PC(USA) Louisville offices
- When confronted with the need to make a quick decision, the Moderator is empowered to do so after consulting with a minimum of three (3) other members of the Steering Committee.
Section 2. Vice Moderator
- Work collegially and supportively with the Steering Committee and with the Moderator
- Chair the annual meeting planning team
- Act on behalf of the Moderator when the Moderator is absent.
- Undertake other tasks assigned by the Moderator or the Steering Committee
Section 3. Secretary
- Take minutes of the Steering Committee meetings and annual meeting, including a list of those in attendance, and distribute them electronically as soon as possible following the meeting to the Steering Committee. Full minutes are available to IPMN members, upon request.
- Be a member of the Communications Committee
Section 4. Treasurer
- Oversee the management and disbursement of IPMN funds following Steering Committee action
- Be a member of the Finance Committee
- Present regular reports to the Steering Committee
- Participate in fund raising efforts for IPMN
Section 5. Membership Coordinator
- Maintain the membership rolls of the network, including telephone numbers and email and postal addresses, as well as similar information for friends of the network who do not wish to be members but want to be kept informed of network activities
- Work with others in the network to communicate newsletters and other information to the membership
Section 6. Communications Coordinator
a. Coordinate the production of e-blasts of newsworthy items with a writing team and send them to appropriate lists
b. Maintain and update the Network webpage in consultation with a technical assistant as necessary
c. Coordinate and write IPMN statements and press releases
Article VII – Committees of IPMN
Section 1. Committees of IPMN
There shall be seven (7) standing committees of IPMN, namely, (1) Steering Committee, (2) Nominating, (3) Finance, (4) Communications, (5) Advocacy, (6) Education, and (7) Partnerships. The Steering Committee shall also have the ability to create additional committees as deemed necessary between annual meetings.
Section 2. Steering Committee
There shall be a Steering Committee (SC) composed of the above six (6) network officers, plus the chairpersons of all committees. Up to two (2) other members of the IPMN may be invited to join the SC as ad-hoc or at-large members, as needed, either for limited periods of time or for one year. Such invitations to participate in the work of the SC may be extended as needed, at the discretion of the Steering Committee.
The Steering Committee is accountable to the IPMN membership and is to work collegially to:
- Conduct an annual review and evaluation of the programs/projects of the IPMN
- Develop planning processes to enable the IPMN membership to set goals and objectives for the future
- Establish committees to accomplish the goals and objectives of the IPMN
- Discover and utilize the gifts of IPMN members
- Approve an annual budget to be submitted for final adoption at the annual meeting, and authorize expenditures
- Promote participation in the IPMN
- Develop ways of relating to other groups/organizations with similar foci
- Communicate with IPMN members regarding its work and alert IPMN members to information concerning Israel/Palestine
Section 3. Nominating Committee
a. The Nominating Committee shall be named by the Steering Committee on an annual basis.
b. There will be three (3) members of which at least one (1) will be from the Steering Committee. The other two (2) members will be from the general membership. Any IPMN member may submit a nominee for the Nominating Committee.
c. The Nominating Committee shall nominate the IPMN Officers and the chairpersons of each of the committees.
d. The names of Nominating Committee members shall be circulated among the IPMN membership
e. The committee shall begin its work approximately four (4) months prior to the annual
f. The slate of nominees will be circulated to the IPMN membership at least two (2) weeks prior to the annual meeting.
Section 4. Finance Committee
The Finance Committee shall be named by the Steering Committee on an annual basis and include the finance committee chair, the treasurer, and other co-opted members. The committee will:
a. Oversee IPMN finances as handled by the PC(USA)
b. Propose an annual budget to be reviewed by the Steering Committee and approved at the annual meeting by those members present
c. Work together as the fundraising arm of IPMN, maintain lists of contributors, and present proposals to the Steering Committee.
Section 5. Communications Committee
The Communications Committee shall have primary responsibility for communications with the IPMN
membership, the PC(USA), social media, and the general public.
Section 6. Advocacy Committee
The Advocacy Committee shall have the primary responsibility for evaluating, selecting, and acting upon
nonviolent and peaceful policies that are consistent with network positions.
Section 7. Education Committee
The Education Committee shall have primary responsibility for developing, duplicating, and distributing
materials designed to share with congregations, presbyteries, and others information about the realities
and conditions on the ground in Israel and the Occupied Territories of Palestine, and steps that can be
taken to foster peace and justice.
Section 8. Partnership Committee.
The Partnership Committee shall develop and facilitate relationships between IPMN and other organizations, both domestic and abroad, which are seeking peace and justice in Israel and Palestine. The committee shall seek to nurture relationships with churches and organizations in Palestine and Israel with which IPMN and PC(USA) ministers in ecumenical partnerships, and shall also focus on relationships with groups organizing travel to the region and organizations promoting products from the region.
Section 9. Other Committees
There may be other committees of IPMN based upon the mission and goals of the organization. These may change from time to time.
The chair/moderator of each committee is a member of the Steering Committee and is responsible for communicating its work and needs with committee members, the Steering Committee and IPMN members.
Article VIII – Annual Meeting
There shall be an annual meeting of the members of IPMN. Notice of this meeting will be sent to members no less than two (2) months prior to the meeting.
A quorum of ten (10) percent of the membership is required to conduct business.
A special meeting may be held at the request of the IPMN Moderator or by the request of one-third (1/3) of the Steering Committee. At least two (2) weeks advance notice shall be given for special meetings.
Article IX – Amendments to the Bylaws
Amendments to the bylaws of IPMN shall be approved at an annual meeting by a sixty (60) percent vote of those members present at the time the vote is taken.
Proposed amendments shall be sent electronically to the membership prior to the annual meeting.
9-23-09 Original bylaws approved at annual IPMN meeting
10-20-10 Revisions approved at annual IPMN meeting
10-12-12 Revisions approved at annual IPMN meeting